Thursday, December 22, 2011

Book Review: Voices in the Dark by Catherine Banner

Okay, so I read Voices in the Dark in the beginning of the year. But I made a review for it then and here it is! I do not have a review written for the first book The Eyes of a King. I could, but would definitely have to read it again.




It took me a long while to pick up this book and read it. I thoroughly enjoyed the first one [although I have not read it since fall of 2008]. The reason I dreaded reading it was the fear it would be as melancholy as the first. But it was a much easier read than the first, had more “fun” parts but it did make me sad towards the end.

Banner has a unique way of writing. There are three different stories going on throughout the whole book [as in the first]. The present, the past story and another story which is being read by the MC throughout the novel. I thoroughly enjoy it!

I loved the characters! They are always my favourite part of any book and if I don’t like the characters, I find it difficult to get into the book. But Anslem and his family didn’t disappoint. The relationship between him and his rather mature sister Jasmine is cute and Banner captured that sibling love perfectly. Leo and Maria are as sad as they were in the first novel and I enjoyed Leo’s character more in this book than I did in the first.

The whole storyline evolves around war and family, which I enjoyed. I love how we [the reader] figure out the mystery that involves Anslem’s birth. Although I had figured out two things halfway through the book before they were revealed, it was an excellent ride. Besides it has an interesting cover [not as gorgeous as the first but still!].

My rating of this book is five of five pumpkins. For the maturity, the beauty of Katherine Banner’s writing, the theme of family that the book possessed and the other all sadness of the book. I hate sad books [which is why it took me so long to pick this one up] but I’m glad I did. This is an excellent book and highly recommended to anyone who loves a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment